Tuesday 20 October 2009

First Idea

  • As shown in the previous post, the lyrics of the song I'm using made me think of time, different ways of measuring time, and therefore sand (egg-timers).
  • I thought of various different ways of putting this idea across, for example, sand acting as rain over the artist and the artist only as if she's drowning in her sorrows and lack of time, and using the physicality of sand timers - the artist singing the song whilst turning over egg timers to imply her neverending waste of time.

  • After thinking of these ideas, I moved onto thinking about how I could portray the artist talking/singing about the matter instead of acting on it, and how that can be percieved as a waste of time. This led me to create an idea of the artist singing, but not being able to get her words out properly as there was just a stream of sand coming out of her mouth. After considering this idea, I decided it might not be best to use actual sand, as this may be dangerous/damaging for the artist's health, so I decided I want to try this but with brown sugar (to look like sand). There's a chance this may not work - the lip syncing may look terrible and not portray the image I'm hoping for, but I'm going to do a test of this at home on my video camera to check this.
  • When planning this test, I was having difficulties finding someone I'd like to use. After talking to Phoebe (the artist) about the idea, she'd be willing for it to be used but she wasn't willing to do it - which I was quite happy about because she's not really the style I was looking for. Ruling out Phoebe, I wanted to find an ordinary, mature-looking female.
    After considering who I could use I came up with the idea of using my sister - Ellie Perkin. She's 23, having the aesthetic maturity I was looking for, is a good actress, and is willing to shoot the video (using sugar) - the photo on the left is her.
  • After deciding on my model, I moved on to thinking about the setting I'd shoot it in. I was thinking it could be nice to shoot this outside, but I soon decided against this as the weather can be incredibly unpredictable and I don't want to have to rely on the weather to shoot my work, or rush the filming to get it done in one day. I then thought about using a photographic studio (the one in my school - I therefore have easy access to the studio, lighting and cameras.)
  • At first I was thinking my idea would be better the more simple it is, but I then realised I can project images/words onto the wall behind her/her face, and I think I might play around with this idea if I choose to finalise this idea.
  • I will upload the test footage at a later date!

No comments:

Post a Comment