Wednesday 21 April 2010

Evaluation Q2 - How effective is the combination of main product and ancillary texts?


Evaluation Q2 - How effective is the combination of main product and ancillary texts?




The main product I chose to create is a singer-songwriter acoustic music video, with a magazine advert and a digipack cover as the ancillary products. I think altogether these three products work well as a form of advertising together, as the same theme runs throughout (the idea of running out of time - using sand to signify this), and the photographs of the model compared to the video footage of the model are very alike. I particularly dislike forms of advertising when they have no relation together, or no hidden message behind the images.
Many artists use simple ways of advertising that don't involve too much thinking, but look nice all the same. I don't like this at all as it doesn't force the audience to think about what the artist is really saying, particularly in products like music videos where a meaning behind the song is necessary but often quite hard to decipher.


I think if I were to make this project better, I would link all three products together even more, to really make an impact on the audience and force people to link the three items together. As I used a black back-drop in the photographs for the digipack cover and the magazine advert, I think it might have been nice to involve more black in the music video. Although I put the model in a black dress for this very reason, I don't think the music video was as linkable as the other two products that were designed very similarly.



The bathroom I used was quite awkwardly shaped. I think if I found a different, more
atmospherical bathroom the video would be at the same standard as the ancillary products.

No comments:

Post a Comment